Even if your teeth are perfectly healthy, a chipped or discolored tooth can really put a damper on your smile. At our Orange County cosmetic dentistry practice, we’re committed to helping you achieve the beautiful smile that you deserve. For the multitude of aesthetic flaws that our patients hope to fix, porcelain veneers are often the most effective solution. To see if this treatment may be right for you, consider the following qualifications of a good candidate for porcelain veneers.
Why Get Porcelain Veneers?
Porcelain veneers are able to hide variety of cosmetic problems that cannot be otherwise fixed or addressed. Because they provide an entirely new appearance to the front surface of your teeth, they can mask anything from a misshapen tooth to deep stains. Common candidates for porcelain veneers include patients seeking to correct the following problems:
- Chipped or cracked teeth
- Worn or eroded teeth
- Gaps between teeth
Some patients are also looking to replace a previous veneer or set of veneers. Whether your veneers have been damaged, worn, or you are simply unhappy with the way they look, we will gladly offer a replacement procedure.
Requirements for Porcelain Veneers
In general, patients with healthy but cosmetically flawed teeth are good candidates for porcelain veneers. It is important to remember that veneers are only meant as a visual improvement, and therefore cannot restore the health or strength of a tooth. Additional characteristics of a porcelain veneer candidate include:
- Good overall health: Even though the installation of porcelain veneers is minimally invasive, a patient should be in good health before any dental procedure. Any prevailing infections, especially within the mouth, should be treated beforehand.
- No cavities or gum disease: Tooth decay and gum disease must be dealt with prior to placement of a porcelain veneer. If any decay develops afterward, the veneer will likely need to be removed for treatment.
- Fully developed teeth: Veneers are created to complement your teeth’s current size, shape, and alignment. Younger patients must wait to have fully developed, matured teeth in order for porcelain veneers to retain their effectiveness.
- Reasonable expectations: For many patients, veneers are an exceptionally realistic cosmetic treatment. However, bear in mind that everyone should expect slightly different results, and no procedure can guarantee perfection. Consult your dentist on what you can expect from porcelain veneers.
As noted above, any infection or decay can negatively influence one’s candidacy for porcelain veneers. Additional factors that can diminish veneers’ effectiveness are as follows:
- Severe discoloration: While veneers are a great solution for most discolored teeth, a very dark, widespread discoloration may not be fully concealed. Since porcelain is partially translucent, such color may be visible through it.
- Silver fillings: Dark fillings could be made partially visible from the erosion of enamel necessary for porcelain veneers. In this case, their color may affect the visual results of your veneer. Silver fillings may be replaced with a tooth-colored composite to improve aesthetic results.
- Teeth grinding: Patients who grind their teeth, a condition called bruxism, may negatively affect the lifespan of their porcelain veneers.
- Severe misalignment: Mild crookedness can easily be corrected with veneers; some patients opt for a set of veneers to instantly straighten their smile. However, porcelain veneers should not be used in circumstances where misalignment is severe; in these cases, traditional orthodontics may be a better option.
Come In for a Consultation
Dr. Dao Kim Pham-Nguyen is an award winning dentist with a wealth of experience in both cosmetic and restorative dentistry. If you would like to explore your options for improving your smile, allow Dr. Dao Kim Pham-Nguyen and her staff to help you make the best decision possible. Schedule a consultation with us today!